The Trent Vegetable Gardens are hiring 4 full-time Garden Assistants for the 2019 growing season. These positions will provide hands-on opportunities for interested and committed individuals to gain experience in ecological agriculture and community food programming. Garden Assistants will help the Garden Coordinator in all aspects of gardening, including seeding, transplanting, weeding, watering, harvesting, and produce distribution. Assistants will work with the Coordinator as a team to ensure the day-to-day healthy growth and prosperous future of the gardens. Additional tasks performed by the Garden Assistant may include food preservation and preparation, event planning and delivery, outreach and publications, volunteer supervision and supporting the management of community garden plots.
- 30 hours per week (maximum of 240 hours during the growing season)
- 8 weeks (May-June or July-August)
- Flexible start date
Successful applicants will possess the following skills and experience:
- Strong interest in ecological agricultural methods and techniques
- Experience working in physically demanding environments and/or adverse weather conditions
- Knowledge and interest in the politics of food security/sovereignty and sustainable agriculture
- Leadership experience
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Experience working with volunteers
- Experience with event planning, promotions and community outreach
- Good organizational skills, self-directed, punctual, and skilled at paying attention to detail
- Access to a vehicle and a valid driver’s license is not necessary but considered an asset
Successful applicants will be expected to:
- Work alongside the Garden Coordinator to complete daily garden tasks including soil preparation, seeding, transplanting, weeding, pest control and harvesting
- possess the ability and disposition to work outside in adverse weather conditions when necessary
- Communicate promptly and effectively via phone and email
- Keep a work-log of all work completed and hours contributed
- Assist with volunteer engagement and supervision
- Assist with the planning and delivery of workshops, events and garden tours
- Support the management of the campus community garden plots
- Arrive at work aware of and prepared for varying weather conditions
- Help create a positive and safe working environment.
To be eligible applicants must be:
- Between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment
- A Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act; and,
- Legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial/territorial legislation and regulations
- All are encouraged to apply however priority may be given to Indigenous students depending on qualifications
How to Apply:
Please submit a current resume and cover letter in pdf form to Garden Coordinator Emma Macdonald: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include “Garden Assistant” in the subject line. Please indicate that you saw this posting on our website.
Questions? Email us!
The deadline to apply is March 31, 2019 by 11:59pm
Want to get involved? Volunteer with us!
Whether you’d like to sign up for weekly shift, drop-in to lend a hand, or come by for a tour, we always welcome new volunteers and community members.
Our summer 2018 drop-in hours occur on Tuesday from 2-7pm in the field garden. Get in touch with us for alternative times to stop by. Email email@example.com for more information about current opportunities.
The Vegetable Gardens provides educational workshops for community members on topics related to gardening, our food system, and social justice. If you’d like to host a workshop at the garden or have an idea for a workshop you’d like to attend, get in touch. Let’s talk!